Legs of Steel 2016 – Race full!
The confirmed date for the Legs of Steel Is Saturday 1 October 2016 and is now full! You can find full details and an entry list here and we look forward to welcoming you on the day! Please join the waiting list here and email email@example.com with any questions.
Please also ensure you read the 2016 Rider Instructions before the day!
Dave Aitchison Challenge Ride – Sat 1 October 2016
Results from last year are now available – you can download them using the link opposite, and photos from last year’s event are also now online at Sportive Photo.
The Surrey Legs of Steel 2016 is a challenging cyclosportive in the Surrey Hills starting and finishing in Box Hill. The ride will take place on Saturday 1st October 2016, with riders rolling out between 8am and 9:30am. There will be two routes – 81k & 46k – with plenty of hills to stretch your legs on!
The short route at 46k is no easy option with 1020m of climbing – it’s just shorter! Riders taking the short route will experience five major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, White Down Hill (an 18% climb!) and finish with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The long route at 81k has 1600m of climbing and will take riders up eight major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Winterfold Hill (an awesome 21% climb!), St Martha’s Hill, Coombe Bottom Hill, Dunley Hill and again finishing with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The event is held to commemorate Dave Aitchison, a rising star in British triathlon and Ful-On Tri club member who died suddenly in January 2007 aged 29. The Surrey Legs of Steel event, now in its tenth year, will be open to anyone with a passion for cycling and the thigh-burning Surrey hills where Dave did so much of his training for his spectacular 2006 season. All profits from the event will go towards Dave Aitchison SportsAid Fund set up in Dave’s name by his family and the club to assist talented young triathletes in the Triathlon London region. For more details about the fund and to make a donation please visit http://www.justgiving.com/daveaitchisonfund.
2016 Timing Standards (81k route):
|Category||Under 18 yrs||18-39 years||40-49 years||50-59 years||60+ years|
- Route markers will be used to identify the routes;
- Two drinks/feed stations on the long route, one drink/feed station on the shorter route;
- Broom wagon and first aid;
- Mechanical support at registration!
- Individual times available after the ride at the event centre;
- The event is fully insured by British Cycling;
- Refreshments are available at the Box Hill National Trust Cafe at the start/finish;
- Toilets available at start/finish;
- All event information will be posted in the Event Info window in the right hand panel of this website, there will be no mail-outs;
- Entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
- Due to complaints from the National Trust about car parking congestion, we have been told that our competitors may no longer park at the top of Boxhill unless they are National Trust members. Therefore we would strongly recommend that you take the train or share cars to the event. It is still possible for people to be dropped off at the top of the hill.
Notes for participants:
- Riders are responsible for the roadworthiness of their own cycle;
- No accompanying vehicles are allowed to follow riders;
- It is compulsory for all riders to wear a helmet;
- Riders are advised to carry a form of identification, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and working pump, as well as extra clothing to cope with possible adverse weather conditions;
- The use of tri-bars is not permitted;
- All riders are expected to respect the rules of the public highways and act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
- Riders will be disqualified and prohibited from entering future Legs of Steel events if reported for bad manners to the public or not obeying the rules of the road.
|Date:||Saturday 1st October 2016|
|Registration opens:||07:15 hrs|
|Start times:||08:00 hrs – 09:30 hrs|
|Venue location:||Box Hill, National Trust Park, Tadworth, Surrey KT20 7LB|
|Long Route:||81k; 1600m of climbing|
|Short Route:||46k; 1020m of climbing|
|Ride entry limit:||600|
|Online entry:||Event full|
|Results service:||Posted at Registration on the day & website following the event|
|Feed stations:||1 on short route; 2 on long route|
|Refreshments:||Available Box Hill National Trust cafe at Ride HQ|
|Lucy Orhnial: firstname.lastname@example.org