We are very excited to announce that entries to this year’s Legs of Steel are now open!
Entries are now open – as in previous years we expect the event to fill up quickly, so get your entries in here!
We hope this will bring a new level of excitement, interest and challenge to the event but still allow you to visit your favourite climbs.
Background to the ride
The Surrey Legs of Steel 2017 is a challenging cyclosportive in the Surrey Hills. The event is held to commemorate Dave Aitchison, a rising star in British triathlon and Ful-On Tri club member who died suddenly in January 2007 aged 29. All profits from the event go towards Dave Aitchison Sports Aid Fund set up in Dave’s name by his family and the club to assist talented young triathletes in the Triathlon London region. For more details about the fund and to make a donation please visit http://www.justgiving.com/daveaitchisonfund.
The Surrey Legs of Steel event, now in its eleventh year, will be open to anyone with a passion for cycling and the thigh-burning Surrey hills where Dave did so much of his training for his spectacular 2006 season.
The ride will take place on Saturday 30 September 2017, with riders rolling out between 8am and 9:30am. There will be two routes – approx 78k & 45k – with plenty of hills to stretch your legs on!
(We have been unable to use Box Hill for future events due to the increased demand on space from visitors)
ROUTES ARE CONFIRMED
The exciting news is that both the short and long course have slightly amended routes. We will now start and finish at a new event headquarters, St John’s School in Dorking. This venue offers easy access from London and the surrounding areas due to the close proximity to Dorking railway stations. There is also (free) parking on site although limited to first 100 (approx.) cars, but with easy access to nearby Dorking car parks there are plenty of options.
The routes follow the same course as in previous years up to the turning point at Peaslake. Please see below a summary of the main and very exciting (and leg busting) changes!
The short route is 45k is no easy option with 1024m of climbing (virtually the same as previous years). Riders taking the short route will experience at least four major climbs: Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Pitch Hill and White Down Hill (an 18% climb!).
- You will now turn left (along with the long course riders) at Peaslake.
- The new split point is at the turning to Pitch Hill! A challenging climb to replace the early climb of Ranmore Common Road and the finishing climb of Box Hill.
- The course will then loop back round still giving you the chance to test your legs of Whitedown, following which you will make your way back to Dorking.
The long route at 78k has 1600m of climbing (again virtually the same as previous years) with all the main climbs still included: Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Winterfold Hill (an awesome 21% climb!), St Martha’s Hill, Coombe Bottom Hill, Staple Lane (the new timed climb!) and Dunley Hill.
- You will follow exactly the same route but starting from the school in Dorking (thereby missing coming down Box Hill and climbing up Ranmore Common Road).
- Once around most of the course and you have climbed Coombe Lane as you normally would, the route takes you left onto Shere Road (where you would normally carry straight on).
- This will take you on an additional 9km loop where you will ride up Staple Lane as a timed climb! A new addition to make the legs burn and see what time you can achieve!
- Once this loop is complete you will continue on the normal course but without going down Ranmore Common Road and avoiding the nasty road surface on this descent.
- Instead coming down back into Dorking to the finish.
You can view the routes by heading to the registration site (GPX routes will be available soon).
- Route markers will be used to identify the routes;
- Two drinks/feed stations on the long route and one on the short;
- Sweeper riders and first aid;
- Mechanical support at registration!
- Individual times available after the ride at the event centre and sent as text message to all finishes.
- The event is fully insured by British Cycling;
- All event information will be posted in the Event Info window in the right hand panel of this website, there will be no mail-outs;
- Entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Notes for participants:
- Riders are responsible for the roadworthiness of their own bike;
- No accompanying vehicles are allowed to follow riders;
- It is compulsory for all riders to wear a helmet;
- Riders are advised to carry a form of identification, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and working pump, as well as extra clothing to cope with possible adverse weather conditions;
- The use of tri-bars is not permitted;
- All riders are expected to respect the rules of the public highways and act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
- Riders will be disqualified and prohibited from entering future Legs of Steel events if reported for bad manners to the public or not obeying the rules of the road.
|Event at a Glance:|
|Date:||Saturday 30 September 2017|
|Registration opens:||07:15 hrs|
|Start times:||08:00 hrs – 09:30 hrs|
|Venue location:||St John’s School, Dorking (after lengthy discussion with National Trust the start and finish is different from previous years)|
|Long Route:||78k; 1600m of climbing|
|Short Route:||45k; 1024m of climbing|
|Ride entry limit:||600|
|Online entry:||Enter here|
|Results service:||Posted at Registration on the day, via text message & website following the event|
|Feed stations:||1 on short route; 2 on long route|
|Refreshments:||Available to purchase at end of ride|