Legs of Steel 2017 – Date now confirmed, 30 September 2017!
We are very excited to announce that this year’s Legs of steel will take place on Saturday 30 September and will follow a slightly amended route.
We hope this will bring a new level of excitement, interest and challenge to the event but still allow you to visit your favourite climbs. Route information will be provided in the coming weeks. However it will still include:
- Plenty of the same hills to test your legs on
- Two routes, short and long (of similar distances to previous years)
- Feed stations
Dave Aitchison Challenge Ride – Sat 30 September 2017
The Surrey Legs of Steel 2017 is a challenging cyclosportive in the Surrey Hills. The event is held to commemorate Dave Aitchison, a rising star in British triathlon and Ful-On Tri club member who died suddenly in January 2007 aged 29. All profits from the event go towards Dave Aitchison SportsAid Fund set up in Dave’s name by his family and the club to assist talented young triathletes in the Triathlon London region. For more details about the fund and to make a donation please visit http://www.justgiving.com/daveaitchisonfund.
The Surrey Legs of Steel event, now in its eleventh year, will be open to anyone with a passion for cycling and the thigh-burning Surrey hills where Dave did so much of his training for his spectacular 2006 season.
The ride will take place on Saturday 30 September 2017, with riders rolling out between 8am and 9:30am. There will be two routes – approx 81k & 46k – with plenty of hills to stretch your legs on!
The short route at 46k is no easy option with 1020m of climbing – it’s just shorter! Riders taking the short route will experience at least four major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, White Down Hill (an 18% climb!)
The long route at 81k has 1600m of climbing and will take riders up at least seven major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Winterfold Hill (an awesome 21% climb!), St Martha’s Hill, Coombe Bottom Hill, Dunley Hill
* Due to the increasing demand on the use of the Box Hill Zig Zag and after lengthy consultation with the National Trust we are very sad to announce that the start and finish location of the Legs of Steel will need to relocate. This was out of our control, but we hope that the new route will exceed your expectations and you enjoy it even more.
2016 Timing Standards (81k route):
|Category||Under 18 yrs||18-39 years||40-49 years||50-59 years||60+ years|
- Route markers will be used to identify the routes;
- Two drinks/feed stations on the long route, one drink/feed station on the shorter route;
- Broom wagon and first aid;
- Mechanical support at registration!
- Individual times available after the ride at the event centre;
- The event is fully insured by British Cycling;
- All event information will be posted in the Event Info window in the right hand panel of this website, there will be no mail-outs;
- Entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Notes for participants:
- Riders are responsible for the roadworthiness of their own bike;
- No accompanying vehicles are allowed to follow riders;
- It is compulsory for all riders to wear a helmet;
- Riders are advised to carry a form of identification, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and working pump, as well as extra clothing to cope with possible adverse weather conditions;
- The use of tri-bars is not permitted;
- All riders are expected to respect the rules of the public highways and act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
- Riders will be disqualified and prohibited from entering future Legs of Steel events if reported for bad manners to the public or not obeying the rules of the road.
|Date:||Saturday 30 September 2017|
|Registration opens:||07:15 hrs|
|Start times:||08:00 hrs – 09:30 hrs|
|Venue location:||TO BE CONFIRMED (after lengthy discussion with National Trust it is likely that the start and finish will be different from previous years)|
|Long Route:||81k; 1600m of climbing|
|Short Route:||46k; 1020m of climbing|
|Ride entry limit:||600|
|Results service:||Posted at Registration on the day & website following the event|
|Feed stations:||1 on short route; 2 on long route|