The 2015 Legs of Steel is now full - we are running a waiting list, so please contact email@example.com if you would like to be added
Dave Aitchison Challenge Ride - Sat 3rd October 2015
The Surrey Legs of Steel 2015 is a challenging cyclosportive in the Surrey Hills starting and finishing in Box Hill. The ride will take place on Saturday 3rd October 2015, with riders rolling out between 8am and 9:30am. There will be two routes - 81k & 46k - with plenty of hills to stretch your legs on!
The short route at 46k is no easy option with 1020m of climbing – it’s just shorter! Riders taking the short route will experience five major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, White Down Hill (an 18% climb!) and finish with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The long route at 81k has 1600m of climbing and will take riders up eight major climbs: Ranmore Hill, Leith Hill, Holmbury Hill, Winterfold Hill (an awesome 21% climb!), St Martha’s Hill, Coombe Bottom Hill, Dunley Hill and again finishing with the ZigZag at Box Hill.
The event is held to commemorate Dave Aitchison, a rising star in British triathlon and Ful-On Tri club member who died suddenly in January 2007 aged 29. The Surrey Legs of Steel event, now in its ninth year, will be open to anyone with a passion for cycling and the thigh-burning Surrey hills where Dave did so much of his training for his spectacular 2006 season. All profits from the event will go towards Dave Aitchison SportsAid Fund set up in Dave’s name by his family and the club to assist talented young triathletes in the Triathlon London region. For more details about the fund and to make a donation please visit http://www.justgiving.com/daveaitchisonfund.
There was an increased demand on the Box Hill Zig Zag in 2012 due to the Olympics route passing through the site. This has meant the National Trust now charges cyclosportif's to use the hill and are licensing events to help with the increased demands. To continue to maximise our donation to the Dave Aitchison Fund, sadly ful-on tri felt we had to also increase our entry fee to cover this cost. We hope our loyal event supporters will understand and continue to support this worthwhile cause.
2015 Timing Standards (81k route):
|Category||Under 18 yrs||18-39 years||40-49 years||50-59 years||60+ years|
- Route markers will be used to identify the routes;
- Two drinks/feed stations on the long route, one drink/feed station on the shorter route;
- Broom wagon and first aid;
- Mechanical support from Corridori Cycle Sport at registration!
- Individual times available after the ride at the event centre;
- The event is fully insured by British Cycling;
- Refreshments are available at the Box Hill National Trust Cafe at the start/finish;
- Toilets available at start/finish;
- All event information will be posted in the Event Info window in the right hand panel of this website, there will be no mail-outs;
- Entries are non-refundable and non-transferable.
Notes for participants:
- Riders are responsible for the roadworthiness of their own cycle;
- No accompanying vehicles are allowed to follow riders;
- It is compulsory for all riders to wear a helmet;
- Riders are advised to carry a form of identification, mobile phone, spare inner tubes and working pump, as well as extra clothing to cope with possible adverse weather conditions;
- The use of tri-bars is not permitted;
- All riders are expected to respect the rules of the public highways and act responsibly to promote the good image of cyclists.
- Riders will be disqualified and prohibited from entering future Legs of Steel events if reported for bad manners to the public or not obeying the rules of the road.
|Date:||Saturday 3rd October 2015|
|Registration opens:||07:15 hrs|
|Start times:||08:00 hrs - 09:30 hrs|
|Venue location:||Box Hill, National Trust Park, Tadworth, Surrey KT20 7LB|
|Long Route:||81k; 1600m of climbing|
|Short Route:||46k; 1020m of climbing|
|Ride entry limit:||600|
|Online entry:||Click here|
|Results service:||Posted at Registration on the day & website following the event|
|Feed stations:||1 on short route; 2 on long route|
|Refreshments:||Available Box Hill National Trust cafe at Ride HQ|
Lucy Orhnial: firstname.lastname@example.org